Why Your Group Should Create Facebook Events
Posting events on Facebook …
- Is free, effective, and the easiest platform that we have used to invite regular members and new people to our events.
- Allows the invited to easily invite others they know, which allows for a widening of your audience.
- Sends RSVP notifications to organizers to allow them a better estimate of who is going to their event.
- Gives reminders to attendees and puts the event on their calendars.
- Shows suggested events to Facebook users and people in your network to further your outreach potential.
- Makes your events more searchable by the general public.
- Increases the engagement of the community and allows a higher visibility for your group.
- If you have to change the time or cancel it, you can change the details in one entry and it will be updated wherever it was subsequently posted.
- We recommend you set up a Facebook page and group for your organization or campaign and NOT attempt to use personal accounts or closed/secret groups for the purpose of public event coordination. If you are a closed or secret group then you can create a seperate profile with your group’s name that you use to create public for sharing events.
How To Create An Event in Facebook
- From the main page of the group/page you administer, click “Events” from the left menu bar.
- Click “+ Create Event” on the next page.
- Fill in the event title (descriptive and obvious), location, frequency (you can create a recurring event like a monthly meeting), time, and description.
- Optionally you can:
- Add a custom picture or video banner for the event that will display in people’s newsfeeds
- Add keywords about your event (i.e. Democrats, progressives, etc.) that can make it easier to find
- Add a link to a ticketing website for your event
- Designate other pages/groups as co-hosts
- Limit who can post comments on your event’s page
- Select if you want the guest list to be public
- Click Create.
- Once the event is created, you can freely advertise it by sharing it on your timeline, to other groups, or to individuals via Messenger. Simply click “Share” on the event’s page, and select the option you want. You can also just copy and paste the event’s url in a post or message. Facebook offers inexpensive and effective paid advertising if you click “Boost Event.”